If you’re an avid angler, the Florida Keys should definitely be on your bucket list. This chain of islands off the southern coast of Florida is famous for its abundance of fish species and year-round fishing opportunities. However, if you’re planning a fishing trip to the Keys, you might be wondering what the best month to visit is. In this blog, we’ll take a closer look at the fishing seasons in the Florida Keys and identify the best month to fish.
Fishing Seasons in the Florida Keys
The Florida Keys offer excellent fishing opportunities all year round, but the species you’ll target and the techniques you’ll use will vary depending on the time of year. Here’s a brief overview of the fishing seasons in the Florida Keys:
- Winter (December – February): This is the season for sailfish, wahoo, and kingfish. It’s also a great time to target blackfin tuna, which is at its peak in January and February.
- Spring (March – May): This is when the tarpon starts migrating through the Keys, making it an excellent time for fly-fishing enthusiasts. You can also target permit and bonefish during this season.
- Summer (June – August): This is the time for big game fishing, as mahi-mahi and marlin start to appear offshore. It’s also a great time for reef fishing, with snapper and grouper being popular catches.
- Fall (September – November): This is the season for bonefish and permit, and it’s also a good time to target sailfish and wahoo.
The Best Month to Fish in the Florida Keys
Now that we have an idea of what each season offers, let’s identify the best month to fish in the Florida Keys. Based on the fishing seasons, the best month to visit the Florida Keys for fishing is March. Here’s why:
- Tarpon season: March is the start of the tarpon season, and these fish will be migrating through the Keys in large numbers. Tarpon are a popular target for fly-fishing enthusiasts and offer a thrilling fight.
- Mild weather: March is a great time to visit the Keys because the weather is mild and pleasant. You can expect temperatures in the mid-70s, which is perfect for spending long hours on the water.
- Variety of fish: March is also a good time to target other species such as permit, bonefish, and snapper. You’ll have a wide range of fish to choose from, making for a diverse and exciting fishing experience.
The Florida Keys offer fantastic fishing opportunities all year round, but the best month to fish is March. With the start of tarpon season, mild weather, and a variety of fish species to target, March offers the perfect balance for a successful and enjoyable fishing trip. Whether you’re an experienced angler or a beginner, the Florida Keys is a must-visit destination for any fishing enthusiast.